: are you listening? :

Monday, October 16, 2006

this mountains high

a thought by a good friend Jono, followed by my response and perpetual struggle:

"God speaks, I know it, but the volume is directly proportional to our listening. Each time I listen, I hear Him, but then He introduces something else in me that needs to change, and I again need to ramp up that following and listening. If He's told you that you are soft, cruel, or selfish, then you have your next assignment. The terraces on God's mountain are very narrow. Just wide enough to allow for a moment of thanksgiving before we need to start climbing again. We find it easy to get used to things, to become accustomed to blessings and not appreciate them. God is infinite and the climbing will continue indefinitely but the moment we stay at one level for to long, we get used to it and we aren't as thankful for it. Gotta keep on moving, it's not like we're going to hit the top, God is infinite. Just thoughts which came to mind. I dunno if they're relevant or not."

relevant atleast to me.

often i find myself stopping and become apathetic towards moving again. it's comfortable where i am. if this mountain is so infinite, why should i keep trying to reach the top? reaching a clearing in the clouds only to find that there is so much further to go is scary. it brings too much of my incompetence and inability to the surface. why dare take another step? i could build a pretty little cottage and live right here until the end. but then occasionally i feel something prodding me - nagging me to keep going up and up and up...

if only i could make out the path i'm to follow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

I have a habit of reading quotes before contextual text... couldn't shake the thought that this sounded familiar. Glad to hear that you found it useful though, all thanks be to God (literally).

Incompetence and inability are dangerous words to use. Namely because they are both inaccurate within the life we now live. We rely on God for all necessary knowledge, our human competence is naturally limited, we're built to rely on God. As for inability, Job 42:2 says "I know that you can do everything, and no purpose of yours can be withheld from you" (speaking about God) and both the OT and NT are full of references to God's using of people to do great things.

I do not know alot on my own and I can not do alot on my own, but neither is expected of me. My mountain analogy fails in that it does not relate the sherpa climbing with us who knows the mountain like the back of his hand and is stronger than an ox.

Mon Oct 16, 07:33:00 p.m.

 
Blogger YVR and his GLOWING FLAIL said...

This reminds me of the sermon we had at church yesterday and of things my Pentateuch professor has said in class.
To be human is one of the highest honors God can confer. Indeed his own Son became a human.
In Genesis God tells us to go and be fruitful. Especially with our busy culture it is really hard to make a difference. I think it's very hard on our generation to be effective because we have never experienced post-modernity before. We are learning how to survive.
But...
Forward motion is always attainable with God. For those who yearn to move it shall be inevitable. The LORD is faithful.

Mon Oct 16, 10:25:00 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home