: are you listening? :

Friday, June 30, 2006

dreams of juggling

Aghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Work is really really getting to me and if anyone knows me well they know that this isn't the first time I've become unsettled. My sister went to camp for the summer and while she is building key relationships with others and solidifying her relationship with God, I am stuck here at a desk still distributing the million computer faxes that have come in since yesterday -- and are still coming in dozens by the minute while I write this -- and building my hate relationship with my misc. inbox until I grow a second brain and a third arm to tend to it.

I know this will only last a few more weeks until they hire a new receptionist so I can get back to my administrative duties. Of course, my unsettled soul will eventually settle back down into my mundane 9-5er, and I'll be merely apathetic until I come across a number of reasons why I should become unsettled again. But it's too much to handle right now, which is why I'm blogging instead of doing faxes and answering phones.

Please pray. Please please please. I won't lie - life is expensive. But are decent pay and job stability worth dealing with the stresses of a job you actually hate?

On another note...

Gull Lake Baptist Camp is in desperate need of volunteers for this summer. Please visit www.gullakecamp.net for more info. If things work out, I may be able to head up for a week in August. But as far as I know, there are atleast 40 volunteer positions available throughout the summer. You have no choice: Give them a call.


What would I like to be doing right now instead of sitting at a computer, burning my eyes and developing arthritis from typing too many numbers with my right hand?

Working as a counselor or artist at camp.
Singing in a band. Being discovered.
Doing pilates.
Volunteering relief work in developing countries.
Continue taking hip hop dance lessons and eventually backup dance.
Developing worship through the other arts at Awaken.
Opening a present with a much beautiful camera inside.
Taking a photography course and eventually getting paid to take as many beautiful or ugly photos as I like.
Designing something.


Hold that thought, office meeting in the main room.

...

*Sigh* Or, putting up with the hectics of the office during the busiest time of the year, train our new receptionist in two weeks, and be promoted into funding by autumn.

See, I told you I'd settle back down. Putting that To Do list back on the shelf.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

Wish I could give some immediate advice that'd make that all better but alas I know the feeling all too well and have yet to find a solution.

You know the cliche statements all too well but "a job is what you make of it" has rung true in the past for me, doing the unfortunately necessary stuff and then expanding (sometimes with considerable force) in to other areas around the office that challenge/interest me more. Take every chance you have to demonstrate your other talents and how they are valuable to the employer. If you see an area which you are lacking in, do what you can to improve it (I won't bother counting how many "_____ for dummies" (and the like) books I have in my library.

Either way, I'm praying. I understand the struggle and it is tough.

Mon Jul 03, 08:41:00 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yea! to you too. update your blog. i'm dieing to hear what's going on over there.

Thu Aug 03, 04:37:00 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home