: are you listening? :

Friday, October 14, 2005

moments for god's glory

For almost my whole life I've struggled with how to hear God speak and to discern between his voice, the world's voice, and the voice I want to be his. This has been something I've wanted to secure in my life, but I realize there is no absolute formula on how to hear God.

This past tuesday I almost audibly heard God and was able to discern his voice. While finishing up the last set of faxes for the day at my office, God told me to go pray over one of the women who was stressing about her surgery the next day. She was getting her tubes tied, and even as a late-thirty year old, she was still unsure if it was the right thing to do. So God told me to go pray. It was clear and I understood, but it still caught me off guard. Let me explain. I work in an office of about 20 people, and as far as I know, I am the only Christian. Since I started work here last January, I haven't been very spiritually forward with my coworkers about my faith... maybe due to intimidation as I'm the youngest here, but also because of my struggle with trusting God to open opportunities. Anyways, this particular woman is moreso into New Age than anything else, and so when God spoke to me about praying over her, I was almost surprised at the obvious opportunity to just love her.
I didn't want it to be awkward praying around other people. So God confirmed what I had to do when everyone left our part of the office but me and her... go figure. Well here goes.. I felt vulnerable. Why? I was told to lead this woman into the presence of God. Okay fine. I put my hand on her shoulder and asked if I could pray for her. Sure. Do you mind? No, not at all. Okay. Dear God, I want to pray for Michelle right now. I pray over her decision about tomorrow, that you would clarify what she needs to do. Please fill her with your grace, give her peace about the right decision, and I pray she wouldn't regret whatever she does in the end. I pray these things in your name, Amen.

Wow, was she crying? I grabbed my coat and purse, and went back to give her a hug. I couldn't believe she teared up. Had my prayer really touched her so much?

She emailed me wednesday morning thanking me for my prayer. It had helped and she knows she is doing the right thing now. I had made her day.

I had made her day?

Okay so she was blessed by it. Did I know I would be so blessed by something so simple like listening to God? A moment of selflessness turned into a moment for God's glory.

Thanks for making your voice so clear, Father... for making the opportunity so simple I couldn't NOT do it. Help me to follow your lead almost automatically, without losing the emotion or the vision or the passion.

2 Comments:

Blogger laureneh said...

Maybe... can I read it? lol

Thu Oct 20, 05:07:00 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's darned coolness. I'll have to pray for you that you continue being prayful and stuff. God's been teaching me about prayer too, but it sort of different ways. He actually has for a while now. Just praying about everything basically. 1 Thess. 5:17

Sat Oct 29, 01:24:00 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home